A SEISMIC Shift in Compaction!
Why waste valuable energy by letting the drum hit the soil randomly? For many years, the soil and the drum were considered to be two separate systems. Thanks to Dynapac’s engineering team, they were able to recognize that the soil and drum actually work together as one system. This finding opened the door for the development of the Dynapac Seismic system. All drum and soil combinations have their own unique natural frequencies. Dynapac Seismic automatically detects the frequency of the soil characteristics, works together with it, and applies the correct amount of energy exactly when required.
LISTEN CAREFULLY TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUM – IT WILL USE LOWER FREQUENCIES AND GIVE LOWER NOISE LEVELS.
LISTEN QUICKLY TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUM – IT WILL OPTIMIZE THE NUMBER OF PASSES.
LISTEN CLOSELY TO THE BEAT OF A DIFFERENT DRUM – IT WILL PROLONG THE LIFETIME OF THE MACHINE.
Dynapac SEISMIC does it differently
Conventional vibratory compactors deliver a rapid succession of impacts to the soil surface at a frequency that is either pre-set at a high or low amplitude or at a frequency that is adjusted manually.
Dynapac Seismic does it differently. Since the drum and the soil act as one dynamic system, several benefits can be found from the system’s natural frequency. At the natural frequency, the drum amplitude is enhanced significantly, since energy is automatically fed to the system at exactly the right time. This, in turn, maximizes the contact force between the drum and the ground, yielding maximized compaction and energy efficiency.
The best compaction parameters guarantee an optimal output. A machine that can determine soil characteristics and then automatically interact with them, will make the world of difference in compaction results. Let the machine feel the soil and cooperate with it.
Dynapac SEISMIC sounds good
Dynapac is renowned for their quiet machines, with unique engine installations that bring noise levels far below the limit values in Europe. Dynapac’s ECO-mode, which provides the roller with the minimum amount of power necessary to operate at any given time, is an additional contributor to the machines quietness. Dynapac Seismic takes it one step further. Now that the machine vibrates in harmony with the soil, the process noise is reduced to a minimum and the soil compacts at a lower frequency. Operator comfort is still a priority for us at Dynapac and the entire machine is secured for vibrations emitted at these lower frequencies.
Dynapac Seismic sounds good – less is more.
Performance under pressure
The new operator’s interface provides the operator with all of the necessary setting options required and presents the operator with the correct information at all times. This allows the operator to maximize uptime. Dynapac Seismic increases productivity with top-quality results in the shortest amount of time. Dynapac Compaction Meter and Dyn@lyzer displays the compaction results in easy to understand graphics and eliminates any wasted time on unnecessary passes that are often made “just to be on the safe side”. By using Dynapac’s tools, you can avoid needless wear and tear and secure Dynapac’s great second hand value.
A winning track
Dynapac’s first step in letting a machine automatically decide compaction parameters was the introduction of Active Bouncing Control. If the compaction energy returns to the machine with the possibility of causing damage, vibration is actively shut off. This technology prevents unnecessary bouncing which saves the machine from downtime and secures a high second-hand value. With Dynapac Seismic, we continue to stay on our winning track of technology by automatically controlling the frequency to get perfect compaction.
Turn on, tune in and roll out
Even though operators have had the possibility to adjust the frequency by themselves, rollers have had standard frequencies between 28 to 40 Hz (1,680 – 2,400 vpm) and indicators with recommendations to go down manually with adjustable frequencies, depending on soil types. Recognizing the dynamic characteristics of a certain soil just by looking at it is impossible. With Dynapac Seismic, the roller automatically determines the natural frequency of the soil and adjusts to it. This saves both time and fuel consumption, makes it easier on the environment and reduces the wear of the machine.
Thanks to Dynapac Seismic, the operator no longer has to manually set the frequency or guess what soil type or frequency should be used at any given time. By using the pre-set on the speed limiter, a constant speed and optimal compaction is ensured, thus allowing the operator to focus on meeting the compaction requirements. Dynapac’s well-renowned tools such as Dynapac Compaction Meter and Dyn@lyzer ensure that these requirements are met.
Dynapac Seismic is the innovation that lets the roller determine the optimal frequency for any compacted material, monitoring the variations and constantly adjusting to the changing conditions automatically. It will be a standard feature for CA1500-6500 rollers together with the Dynapac Compaction Meter.
With the frequency automatically optimized at all times, Dynapac Seismic will reduce fuel consumption, eliminate any unnecessary wear and tear and even reduce the number of passes required to reach the optimum compaction. Let the machine feel the soil and cooperate with it!
Find your Marketing Material
SEISMIC on YouTube
SEISMIC is the intelligent technology that lets the roller determine the optimum frequency for any compacted material, monitoring the variations and constantly adjusting to the changing conditions automatically.
With the frequency automatically optimized at all times, Dynapac SEISMIC will increase the productivity significantly as it requires less passes compared to conventional compaction carried out at fixed frequency. SESMIC will provide a significantly lower fuel consumption and reduce the Carbon footprint for completion of the compaction job.
- Increase productivity by up to 40%
- Up to 55% less fuel required to complete the job
- Reduce carbon footprint by up to 55%
The system is a fully automatic frequency adjustment system, meaning easy to use with no additional training needed. No blind guesswork or manually adjustments of frequency. Simply get in and drive.
SEISMIC is a Sensor- and Algorithm-based innovation with a simplistic system architecture. That means benefits for the customer without the cost of mechanical complexity. By operating at the optimum drum frequency all the time it results in less wear and tear of the complete system including the mechanical and hydraulic components.
The critical components at the heart of the Seismic system are the on-board machine control unit and a next-generation compaction meter. This device has been designed to sense the dynamic characteristics of the material being compacted. In turn, this allows Seismic to calculate the optimum frequency required for the most optimal compaction.
This is achieved using advanced data flow from the Seismic Compaction Meter to the on-board machine control unit, which controls the machine's hydraulics. This means that drum frequency can be changed hydraulically every 0.2 seconds to ensure that both compaction performance and energy efficiency are always maximized.
- “Very easy to use” - Automatic intelligence - Simply get in and drive.
- “Silent and comfortable - I can barely hear the noise from the vibrations”. Conventional compaction carried out at a fixed higher frequency produce higher perceived noise/vibration emissions, Seismic operates at lower frequencies. In many cases lower than what the human ear can perceive (20Hz).
- “Wow - No bouncing” when operating the Seismic machine, you experience a reduced risk of over-compaction and tendency of “double jumping” (bouncing). The reason for this is – in natural frequency the machine operates in harmony with the soil.
- Save time, money and increase productivity by up to 40% - due to proven and verified reduction of required number of passes
- Up to 55% less fuel required to complete the job – proven and verified fuel consumption savings gives significant monetary savings, especially in times of high fuel prices
- Reduce carbon footprint by up to 55% - projected savings of 28ton CO2 savings per year and machine
- The lower operating frequency means a significant decrease in machine wear and tear
- The lower operating frequency means a decrease in perceived noise levels
- The surface loosening effect in granular materials that is a common problem for conventional compaction is more or less eliminated on granular soils, meaning that the static passes towards the end of the compaction process for “finish compaction” may be omitted
- Reduced risk of over-compaction and tendency of “double jumping” (bouncing)
SEISMIC is available for our Soil rollers CA 1500-6500
Scientific articles, test results and reference below:
- Wersäll, C., Nordfelt, I. & Larsson, S. (2020). Roller compaction of rock-fill with automatic frequency control. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Geotechnical Engineering, 173(4): 339–347
- Wersäll, C., Nordfelt, I., & Larsson, S. (2018). Resonant roller compaction of gravel in full-scale tests. Transportation Geotechnics, 14, 93-97.
- Wersäll, C., Nordfelt, I. & Larsson, S., (2017). Soil compaction by vibratory roller with variable frequency, Géotechnique, Vol. 67, No. 3, pp. 272-278.
- Wersäll, C., Larsson, S., Rydén, N. & Nordfelt, I., (2015). Frequency Variable Surface Compaction of Sand Using Rotating Mass Oscillators, Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol. 38, No. 2, 2015, pp. 1–10, doi:10.1520/GTJ20130193. ISSN 0149-6115
- Wersäll, C. & Larsson, S. (2013), Small-Scale Testing of Frequency-Dependent Compaction of Sand Using a Vertically Vibrating Plate, Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 1-10, doi:10.1520/GTJ20120183. ISSN 0149-6115.
- Arvidsson, H., Bjurström, H. (2022), Measuring of fuel consumption on Dynapac-roller, monitored by VTI (The Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute). VTI test report nr. 22-002